Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Friday, November 27, 2009

Phenobarbital Question

Bella had her appointment with Dr T today. Her phenobarb level is 27 umol/L which is well below the therapeutic range which starts at 41 umol/L. Her dose is now 1.8 mg/kg which is also below the normal dose. We are going to speed up the weaning process slightly and she will be off the Phenobarb by the end of December. Even though the level is so low I still worry that it may be having some therapeutic effect at these levels. When Bella was on Phenobarb monotherapy she needed a level over 100 umol/L  and a dose of 10 mg/kg for seizure control so I am hoping that it is not still contributing to seizure control at these levels. Does anyone know if there could still be a therapeutic benefit at these low levels?

On a lighter note Bella is pulling herself up into standing which is a great new achievement.....

3 comments:

  1. I can't help you with phenobarb questions as Chloe does not use that med.

    However, I am thrilled beyond words that sweet Bella is pulling herself up! Hooray Bella! Hooray ABM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. Not long after reading this post, I went to another blog of a bloggy friend who is weaning her child from phenobarb. You may want to check out her blog as she has talked about it quite a bit recently, and I'm sure would be happy to help you out if she can.

    http://birdonthestreet.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Cathy
    Sorry for replying so late....nowadays, my mind is not reliable... I just can't remember things!
    I will love to know about what you've learned over the past months.
    So...my email address is jaykim8@hotmail.com
    email me anytime!
    By the way, I don't really know much about Phenobarb, even though Caleb was on that med one time, too.

    Jay

    ReplyDelete